Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekly Reflection--Whitney Anderson

The YETC is incredible! I am amazed and a bit overwhelmed with all of the information that is at our fingertips. There is no reason why technology can't be used in classrooms with every subject we teach, these resources and programs are being underutilized. The programs that I loved the most from today were celestia, storyline online, cooliris, and podcasts. There were so many other things that I just want to go explore and use! I know that I still have a lot that I want to learn about technology so that I will be able to use it more effectively with my students. The possibilities that are being extended to us through technology are great, I can't imagine what this will all be like in 10 or 20 years. At the rate that everything is going pretty soon I will become somewhat of a digital immigrant to the new digital natives. I will be sitting in my parents shoes if I don't take an active part in staying up to date. I plan on tapping into all of the resources available to me at the YETC. It will take time and effort to really understand what is available to me in the YETC but I know it can help me in the classroom and especially help my students. I can't wait to share these resources with everyone one I know family, roomates, strangers I meet :)

Looking back to my days in elementary school I don't remember a lot of technology in the classrooms, we only used computers once a week doing an online program or playing games. From being in my practicum it really hasn't changed a lot at least at some schools. I never saw my teacher use technology with her class. The only time they received computer instruction was once a week and a lot of it was playing games. I hope to fix that and fight for technology to be available to my students more than just one day a week it needs to be that way to keep learning meaningful, which is one of my biggest goals. Nathan was great to show us around and to be so willing to help us with any questions. I think I have found a new favorite place!

No comments: